Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Sanuk!

This morning's adventure was to waterfall Erawan, one of the most beautiful and famed throughout Thailand. Its named after the hindu god erawan, the elephant with 3 heads as the falls are supposedly resemble him. We set up a trip with 10 others interested in the trip and got a van ride to the national park about 50 minutes away near the elephant camp from yesterday. The falls are incredible, there are 7 different steps to it, we went the entire trail and it was definitely worth it. Never have I seen water so blue and clear, equivalent to the beaches in Greece, just amazing. We took tons of pictures and go pro videos in the water, rock sliding down into the water as well! However I have a slight issue with water creatures I can't seem to get over, so the fish nibbling my toes made me anxious as anything! I always think I can handle being in natural water, then I get super nervous, shaky and panic! So ridiculous, a fear of fish haha. So some amazing waterfall swimming, and exploring behind the falls, and meeting interesting people, like a young guy teaching ESL in Bangkok for a year. Not to mention tons of monkeys and baby monkeys, and wild peacocks because that's totally normal.

Afterwards we got some street food from the park before our van ride back, chicken pad Thai and more of the delicious papaya salad I've had, and some awesome chips that look like homemade plantain chips but are sweet, like with honey on them. Now we are back at our resort, going to walk more of the trails along the river and bridge and spend time at the pool. Tomorrow morning we leave for Ayuthaya which should be incredible. The ruins of the old capitol, through the research I've done it keeps making me think of a Rome of eastern Asia, awesome!

To back track a little, I will be posting my recipe's from Jays family for sure! We made green and red curries, sweet and sour stir fry, spicy soup, spring rolls, fish cakes, and my favorriittee sticky rice papaya dessert. Needless to say I was in heaven!!! Just so incredible to learn all the true recipes and tricks to making authentic dishes. It was like a cooking show over there, they had everything cut up and laid out, jay would translate what they couldn't and I took avid notes and they made sure I did the cooking too so I could learn! afterwards we dropped jay off at his temple and went back to our hotel in Bangkok.

Early the next morning we left for Kanchanaburi, upon our arrival we took boat rides through th canals to the floating market. Really cool because I remember seeing th market and boat ride on anthony bourdain no reservations! Then we went o the bridge on th river Kwai, the ww2 site that POWs made and died creating, part of the "death railway". Basically a massive tourist site, but we just stayed for lunch at an awesome restaurant on the river.

Next was the elephant camp and bamboo rafting down the river, both amazing! Elephant picked me up by the trunk, gave nick a "massage" with his trunk and we got to ride. Got a few pics and videos!

No comments:

Post a Comment