Friday, October 19, 2012

Para continuar..

Sunday I tagged along with Think Global School to Nick's planned field trip along with students and the principal and his wife to the Gaucho Fair. Nicks been working on argentine identity with his classes and the gauchos or cowboys are a key part of that. So we traveled 40 minutes out of town for a fair "faria de los mataderos" (literally this means fair of the killers.. Bold. Lol)

This fair is held every Sunday in a local town and is filled with gaucho vendors selling their made products, grills covered with chorizo and steaks and empanadas by the handful, as well as alfajores! Alfajores are dulce de leche little cakes, I swear they are little debbie Swiss cake rolls from my childhood, still delicious! Gauchos were there riding their horses, racing having competitions in the streets, as well as dance performances by local dance students. It was a great time! This is where I bought really authentic gaucho shoes like the toms are modeled after, some jewelry for gifts :) and a beautiful hand made scarf/shawl. Nick bought a canteen and such for mate, the tea to drink in parks and some other goodies like shoes. The kids had a great time as well, and all commented it was the most authentic and best cultural experience in buenos aires thus far.
A lot was crammed into a few days, I kept getting nervous my time to leave was getting close! So happy and calming to know I still had another week to enjoy..
View of Recoleta from the balcony.. The new week began with Nick having lots of work meetings from Monday to Wednesday. So as I usually do I got lost in the city for a good 2.5 hours and learned that sometimes its better to look at the map and figure it out for yourself rather than ask for directions!

I joined a local yoga studio I found online that is close by in Recoleta, and it has been fantastic! Its held in an apartment And each time ive been I have been either the only student, or there are 1-2 others. I'm really enjoying it, the instructors are from all over as well, so it's always something different.

Another very important goal for while I was here was to help nick in his breakfast search, as desayuno is not well known to these Portenos! One thing I found online I wanted to order for nick was bagels from quierobagels.com which is the only place in buenos aires that does bagels and they'd re only by delivery, so I ordered a bunch and they do a pretty good job of owning up to their tag line of NYC bagels in BA!

Besides this relaxing and exploring the city has been enjoyable, and I've gotten some work done and started reviewing information for GREs in November. I also really love the TV in Spanish, and going out to the club having all my favorite spanish songs play that I jam out to in the car is incredibly fulfilling! Every Monday the students have tango lessons, and I get to tag along:) it's a great time at a local gym with a Porteno dance instructor in Spanish. The kids are getting pretty advanced in their steps and are really into it, can't wait for next Monday to see if Nick and I remember all we learned.

Now we're sitting at a bar down the street from the apartment, teachers grading and me catching up on this blog. Advisory dinner is tonight, and tomorrow morning Nick and I catch a boat ride to Colonia, Uruguay for the weekend. Should be a enjoyable small downtown getaway, I'm imagining it to be similar to downtown Fredericksburg historical wise and size wise..

Loving every moment I spend here. Incredibly thankful for the two week span I get to stay and thankful for having such an amazing best friend and boyfriend. One of my favorite quotes comes to mind..
"Happiness is a way of travel not a destination"

No comments:

Post a Comment